Thursday, September 2, 2010

Getting married real soon....it's nice

People are very, very nice to you when they hear you are engaged. It feels like everyone is rooting for you. It's nice.

Katelin and I are getting married in exactly one week. At this point, I'm pretty much slipping it into every conversation I have. Even my last two work emails referenced it. One of these emails was to a very grizzled distributor of ours and his response was down right flowery. This ball buster wrote a nice story to me about his wife and even used exclamation points. (!!!!!)

I didn't anticipate this behavior from myself. There was a good 6 week period that I felt like being engaged was just a real long Valentine's Day. Not for the guy, filled with expectations and emotional bear traps, and expensive. The best you could do was not disappoint. That IS Valentines Day for all straight men. If you are a "straight guy" reading this and disagree, I have news for you. You bought those roller blades for a reason. You are gay.

But now, it's like I want to let everyone in on this real cool secret. It's nice.

I know there are likely a couple of things behind this emotional community fan section.

I know some of this is innate. We are animals and are hard wired to pro create. Our collective instincts encourage us to encourage others to mate and make. But it's not just that.

Here's a truth. Most people are very good people. Most people wish their fellow man the things they also strive for in life. Health and Happiness. The bitter minority excluded, people root for others to find a loved one, enjoy themselves, and make happy families. Ask any pregnant woman how many people look into her eyes and smile when she is showing. Living in an aggressive, busy city, I forget these facts all too often. I'm gratefull for the reminders. It's nice.

I have always known and truly believed these facts about people...about life, but have struggled to live and breath them. A little over a year ago, all of that changed, because of Katelin. When you find someone that allows you to see the beautiful truth inside of everyone, including yourself, my advice is to marry that person as quickly as they will allow. I am marrying Katelin in one week. It's so, so, so nice.

1 comment: